|"It'll save money. Yeah, lot's of money. It'll save, uh|
TRILLIONS of dollars. Yeah, that's the ticket!"
- The Locus of Evil: If big medical, big insurance and big pharmaceuticals are all evil, why is big government miraculously not evil.
- Depantsing the Consumer: In one stroke Obamacare turns the consumer from a customer into a commodity. By removing free market forces the government takes away the only tool consumers have to control prices (voting with their feet) and replaces free markets with top down price controls. Historically that never works. Nixon tried it and nearly killed the economy. Carter tried it and did!
- Empowering the Big Guys: It is far easier to bribe government officials than it is to bribe 300 million consumers. Now that we are being forced by the government to buy a product (medical insurance), the giant corporations that are supposed to be so evil don't have to do marketing studies or offer deals to attract customers. They merely have to offer trips to Tahiti and all expense paid conferences in Las Vegas to the right government officials to get the price protections they want.
- DeCapitalizing Healthcare: By killing free market forces altogether, medical providers no longer have to make their customers happy. Their customers have to make the medical providers and their government handlers happy in order to get services. This was explained to me once by a public transit official as the difference between private and public transportation. The same principle applies to "public" healthcare.
- A Falling Tide Sinks All Boats: The idea that forcing everyone to pay for medical "insurance" will cover anecdotal problems like pre-existing conditions and unusual medical problems is simplistic and wrong. Forcing everyone into the insurance market merely covers the cost of all that government supervision that will be added on to the cost of medical care. The continued problem of unusual and expensive medical conditions will merely force reductions in the quality of care of all consumers. Socialism's great strength is in its ability to share misery equally among everyone (except of course for the leaders who get a better deal because they are smarter and wiser and we couldn't get along without them or at least that's their story and they're sticking to it.